Saturday, November 15, 2008

Stuck In a (Mighty Fine Looking) 24-Year-Old's Body

So it's 10pm on Saturday night (pay no attention to what time the blog claims I write this; it's totally off), and I am sitting in bed. Listening to Norah Jones, about to start a Lori Wick novel. I left my friends and the television to come here. Because I am tired. And I wanted to wind down. Because I am getting up at 6:30am tomorrow, SUNDAY, so I can do projection--a 6-hour commitment--at church. Take all these as excuses if you want, but if you'd rather, and I'd like you to rather, just accept them as justifications as to why I say no to Saturday nights and the way they "should" be spent by someone who is 24 years old. 

In high school I was known by others, my friends and my non-friends, as someone who didn't drink, didn't smoke, blah blah blah. And because of that, I think, I was never invited to parties. But really, it could have been that I was totally uncool and I lived a lie throughout high school that I was AWESOME. Just kidding. Maybe. And for the record, I was TOTALLY fine with NOT being invited. So instead, my Friday and Saturday nights were spent watching movies with my parents or babysitting. I didn't have much of a social life on those nights. So from those days forward, I have been 100% intimidated of big parties and bars/clubs...."clubbing" sounds like the worst thing to me. Actually, the closest thing I've done to "bar-hopping" is "park-hopping", when I take my babysitting kids from park to park, drunk with apple juice, goldfish, and the joy of life as a toddler and babysitter.

Well I think those high school weekend nights have carried through to my college and post-college years thus far. I love my friends and when we get together, we don't do that club scene or really even drink, for that matter. Unless, of course, one decides to honor the veranda by buying a bottle of wine. But anyway, I was so used to going to bed relatively early. I don't get how people go out to start their weekend night at 10. I just don't get it. I am well into my REM sleep by then. Maybe that's an overexaggeration, but you understand what I'm saying. And forget starting a movie late (in Jaq terms, that's like 8) and expecting me to stay up. There's no way. Scattegories or a crazy game of Apples to Apples, maybe, but case in point. My wild and crazy nights usually would typically involve board games and movies. 

And then there's the whole reading thing. Recently I've realized that I don't love watching movies as much. If I'm watching a movie, I usually like to do something while I'm watching. Like a craft, or homework, or something other than just sitting/lying there. I have to be doing something. I think this is definitely a good thing, my sudden desire to read, but recently I've had every intention to sit down and read but then the desire to read gets beat up by the desire to write a blog. Like, let's see if I can think of a good example, oh yeah. Right now.  My Lori Wick novel is waiting for me. And Norah Jones is singing. I should pay more attention to poor Lori and Norah. 

Don't judge me for being an old lady stuck in a mighty-fine looking 24-year-old's body.
LOL.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Jaq - I couldn't agree with you more...I was the exact same way in high school (and college for that matter) and now it's 9:30pm and I'm heading up to bed with my three month old! haha. Yay for us non-party-ers. :)

I missed seeing you at the alumni game, but I think we'll be down next weekend for the games on Saturday...will you be around?

-Lindsey

just eric said...

For the record: I never read your blog. I was looking for some inspiration from jack handey and somehow I ended up here reading about whole wheat couscous/deliciousness deliciousness.

And there's no way I'm ever going to comment on your blog now that you told people that you saw me running. Now I'm going to get a whole lot less sympathy thanks to you.