*Ash Wednesday. Actually, more specifically the service I went to at SovG for Ash Wednesday last night. I have been a christian pretty much my whole life, but Ash Wednesday and Lent were never times that I observed. From a distance, it seemed like "Lent" was a time to give something up and nothing more. I observed that people usually gave up something food related. No chocolate? No ice cream? Oh man! Part of the reason I never did this was because I didn't really get it, part of it was because I had no motivation to take part in not eating ice cream for 46 days (and of course hope that I would lose weight in the meantime). I also knew instinctively that I certainly would not do this for the right reasons. I mean, I already said it, let's be honest, I would hope to lose a coupla pounds. But there's so much more behind Lent and I was able to learn more about it last night. AND, I just love it love it love it that I KNOW that I am at the right church. I totally agree with what "Pastor Mike" conveyed, and that is, why "subtract" something when you could "add" something? In other words, rather than give up something that is hard to give up (similar to New Year's Resolutions), do something in ADDITION to enjoying food or TV or whatever. Specifically, read one of the 4 gospels, plus Acts during the season on Lent. SO, I'm doin' it. Mark and Acts. Those are my jams for the next 46 days. And I would eat ice cream to celebrate ADDING instead of SUBTRACTING, but I have this triathlon thing controlling my life so I celebrate by eating too much pineapple instead! Whoop!
*GOOD GOOD friends. I have some friends that are just so good. The kind that, when they ask me how I'm doing, truly want to know HOW I'm doing. I am so thankful that I have that at my work. I have lunch dates with one specific friend sometimes and we eat in her classroom, and we talk about everything, but most importantly we involve God in our conversations. I don't have many friends my age I can genuinely talk to about God. I always leave this gal's room feeling refreshed and sometimes I forget that I'm at work. THAT is a gift.
*Salmon.
*My pen pal friend at work. I almost never see her during the day but I hear her next door during class. We drop notes in each other's tutorial spaces. It's pretty amusing. And that sometimes she walks out of the school door and yells with her hands in the air with pure excitement, "BAKE SALE!" as about 5 other faculty are walking her way. Oh man she's so awesome.
*My Cinderella helium ballon. Gotten for me from friend mentioned above, because it was my half-birthday and I randomly shared that in the last blog and I also randomly talked about getting myself a Cinderella helium balloon. .....I also would love a million dollars.... !?
*The guinea pigs sitting next to me (in their cage of course...I'm not man enough to take them out), because I think they're cute so far. I have them tonight through Tuesday night. And also their names are Barbara and Mini Pig. I thought it would be spelled Muinea Pig, but it's plain old boring Mini Pig. LAME.
*Humor. Jokes. Witty remarks. Seriously, people WHAT would we do without them!?!? I just love them to pieces.
*Good internet reception. This is actually something I DON'T have, therefore I have not skyped Phebe and Ruby in AGES and it feels like Ruby is probably about 14 now and I've missed it all. It's only been 1.5 weeks but it seems like a lifetime because I usually have skyped at least 4 times in that duration of time. It's okay. I'm hittin' the road Jaq a week from tomorrow. So...I appreciate it because I don't have it. Hm.
*Fruit. I am surprised I haven't turned INTO a mango. Or pineapple. Or cantaloupe. But what I DON'T appreciate? I was told I should eat less fruit and more vegetables because fruit has a lot of "sugar" and vegetables have a lot of "nutrients". Blah.
*My church. Have a mentioned that before? Seriously, folks, it was a long time coming. I have been searching for this place for years and years and years. I am not a huge fan of the oval stickers everyone has on their cars, and I'm not one to jump to the chance to put stickers on my car, but when I was given this sticker, I put it on without hesitation. I am this church's biggest fan.
*On Wednesday my tutorial student was reading a piece on corn and its importance. She read the key words and their definitions, then before reading it she goes, "Ready to get our corn on?" Like, "ready to get our game on?" Or something...I'm not sure...but I still think it's funny.
*My outside tutorial student told me that when she was reading Junie B. Jones (VOMIT I can't stand that series. Any series that encourages being a spoiled brat with attitude does not have my vote.) she read "announcement" without having to ask for help. She used the strategies we work on in tutorial outside of our sessions together! Her mom was so excited and she was so proud to tell me. THIS is what teaching is all about:)
I'm going to stop now because really, if I think about all the things I appreciate this week, I could go on and on and on. There's no reason you should be reading all that. This is just a tidbit.
I love life.

2 comments:
I do not have a million dollars. But if I did, I would share it with you. And I am jealous of your God lunch dates! And if I don't ask you how you are enough, I will ask ask ask ask ask.
And yes. I love bake sales. And then hate them after I eat their goods. Their bakes goods. They are so bad. My flailing would have been embarrassing if I didn't already feel it was a bit too late to keep my crazy under wraps...
I appreciate you!!!
Yay! This post made me so happy! I'm so glad you're loving church and loving your friends and loving life! And that's a great way to look at lent - I like that a lot! :)
Miss you!
Post a Comment