Monday, December 29, 2008

My Grown Up Christmas List...Gag Me.

You know that "classic" christmas song "Grown-Up Christmas List"? I think I first heard it on Amy Grant's amazing christmas CD and then I realized it was sometimes amazing (Mary's Song? I mean com'n), but other times not. Sorry if you like it, but I can't stand that song. I think it's cheesy, cheesy, and also cheesy.

Yet, I enjoy the idea of the song. And as a young woman, if I do say so myself (except of course, in my social activity life I am older but if I talked more about that, I would be repetitive and you would stop reading my blog due to boredom), I can appreciate the truly important things about Christmas.

It absolutely totally used to be about the stuff. One of my all-time favorite gifts was a doll that I fed and it came out the butt into a diaper. I think I wrote about this gem in an earlier blog but that's how awesome it was...worthy of being mentioned in two very separate blogs. And of course the whole idea of Christmas Eve, and the excitement, and everyone being together that night and listening to my father read "The Night Before Christmas". 

Whether or not I was ready for it, I was forced to experience change. Buck moved away and got married and had (the most precious pie) kids, Phebe got married and went to her husband's family's house for part of the holiday. And then there was me, 9 and 11 years younger than my siblings, trying my hardest to enjoy the holidays in a different way. With my parents. I ADORE my parents. I don't adore change in something that is so exciting and important as Christmas traditions, though. Oh well. 

So this past year was the weirdest Christmas Eve. Siblings were not around and I went to a Lutheran church with my mother kind of hesitantly. It was okay; I wanted to be at East Gloucester the whole time. When we got back my dad was watching TV and my mother and I took over Office style. That is, we replaced my siblings with Michael, Dwight, Jim, Pam, Stanley, Phyllis...you get the drift. Every now and then I remembered that it was Christmas Eve and everytime I thought it was so weird. 

This blog is boreder than bored (I don't care; it's break; I can be grammatically incorrect if I want). Sorry. In any event, I did NOT end up going to the bar with my sister etc. She was so disappointed and tried everything to make me go but the couch and fireplace were calling me. And okay fine, we had to finish up the Office season. I found out that I would NOT have had a good time; it wasn't like Phebe had thought it would be.  Pat pat pat. Sorry, that was me patting myself on the back for a decision well-made.

After being home for more than a week now, I am overwhelmed with free time and at the same time, if this is possible, overwhelmed with how much I should do and haven't done. I'm heading back earlier than I had originally thought. By the time my vacation ends, there will be an imprint of my butt on a chair in Panera. I have so much to do. Ugh.

Happy holidays, my friends! You are all on my grown-up christmas list, whether you are my closest friends or once called yourself my "stalker"! Congratulations!!!!




2 comments:

Sarah said...

I have a few comments... 1. Isn't every Christmas song just a little cheezy? Isn't that what makes it great?! 2. My brother and I were discussing a similar disappointment in changing christmas traditions as well this year. And 3. I too have a TON of work to do before Monday (actually before Friday because I'm gone all weekend), and would LOVE to be next to that imprint at panera to make my own. much love.

am said...

Were you calling the pooping doll a gem or the actual poop itself?