Friday, January 2, 2009

Marathon Mama.

I think it was early on in my senior year of high school when I was watching Guiding Light (we all had our bad habits) and eating cheese and crackers (again, we all had our bad habits) after school on the couch.  I asked Phebe where she was going and she told me she was going for a run.  Gross.  That's what I thought, then.  At that point I was much more invested in what what going to happen to Rita's character, who had an evil clone.  Phebe didn't stop there. She told me I should go with her. Gross gross gross.  I laughed at that perposterous idea and stuck another cheese and cracker sandwich into my mouth.  Somehow I found myself, 20 minutes later, huffing and puffing next to her, totally intimidated by the 2 miles we still had left to run. But then, 30 minutes later, I found myself with my foot hanging out of her car window, drinking a well-deserved Gatorade, wearing some shades and singing along with a Dixie Chicks jam.  And the level of happy that I had never experienced before was AMAZING.  

This "happy" feeling is called endorphins. I have hearted endorphins ever since that glorious day when my sister (did I ever tell you you're my HEEEEROOOOOOoo) got my butt off the couch and my feet on the road.  

I think of myself as a runner but then I think, how did that HAPPEN!? I could never imagine my present state way back in high school. Running was just NOT for me. Guiding Light? Cheese and crackers? Now we're talking.  I am sooo happy to have a best friend named endorphin.

Well, anyway, I like organized runs. But a marathon has never been something I've thought about doing. I ran a half-marathon this fall and when I finished was SO GLAD that I didn't have to do that all over again. The thing that really intimidates me about a marathon, though, is the training. If it was a one-time deal thing, where I'd get out of bed, lace up my shoes and just go and be able to do this one time, that would be different. But the marathon is something my dad immediately shared his feeling being AGAINST when I told him about it. The body isn't "made" for a marathon.  But, Dad, that's why it's so AWESOME! To stretch the body to do something like that?  So why WOULDN'T I do a marathon? This is my thought recently.

I kept telling myself I would never do a marathon but I realize that that thought right there is exactly what should light a fire under my butt to do just that. RUN A MARATHON! Do what I think I can't do.

So anyway, I'm going to an informational meeting on Team in Training later this month, which is a group that raises money for cancer research via marathoners and triathaloners and cyclists. Depending on how freaked out I am after the meeting, I am thinking about doing it. 

Anyway, I dedicate this blog to my friend, the endorphin. Oh yeah and Phebe:)

4 comments:

Rebecca Gutwin said...

Endorphins are amazing. Too bad it's so hard to remember exactly how good they feel ALL the time, because then it would be a lot easier to write and stick to a training plan.

Maybe you'll get bitten by the marathon bug so hard that you'll want to do an Ironman with me in 2010! You should definitely check out triathlons of SOME distance, at least... You get to bike AND run, and the swim portion isn't as bad as it seems.

B said...

I have a friend whose goal it is to run a marathon in every state. 2009 is Hawaii. Needless to say this is a life-long goal. You and the endorphin should start right now!!!

Phebe said...

Oh no, you are MY hero. And I think you should do it. But I've already said that. I'm probably going to start running with TNT again here, so we can be on the same training schedule (for a while, anyway) and run together when we are together. Be fun! And I always thought that, assuming you have a group to train with, the training was the most fun part. The marathon was just the thing I had to do at the end.
Weeeeeeee I miss you!

Phebe said...

Oh, and you are going to have to learn to drink water if you're going on these long training runs. As I apparently said before, just SUCK IT UP.